Website address

Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Refashion Tips: Remodel turtle neck jumper


Last week we unveiled Castaway to Couture an an exciting, national refashioning competition, open to the public, ASG members & Red Cross people too! Castaway to Couture is brought to you by the Australian Sewing Guild Inc. in collaboration with Red Cross Shops. Entries open today, so we have our resident refashioning genie, Judith Turner here, with the eighth in a series of tips. Take it away Judith.........


This is something you might find in a Red Cross store. A turtle neck jumper. Some people love high necklines. Personally I prefer them a little lower. I had a top that a client had wanted shortened, and given I do not throw anything away that I think I might use one day, I thought this turtle neck jumper could do with a remodel.

I did unpick the hem on the animal print piece, so that it stayed as long as possible.

Work out how low you want the top. It is always better to put it on and place a safety pin at the finished length between the neck and bust area.

This garment had a separate ribbed section at the top. I cut this off first, then proceeded to work out how low I wanted it.

If you do not have a French curve, use a plate or bowl to create the neckline. I usually only mark one side, then move back up towards the neckline by seam allowance and cut this half only, and I use this as a template for the opposite side.

Fold at the centre and mark the second side. This gives a perfect shape either side.

Lay the new collar around the new neckline. Adjust the length so it will fit. I folded this one in half. It already had mesh so I left that there and placed that at the back.

Stitch the new collar on and over lock the edge.

Happy altering

Judith Turner a.k.a genie

Keep an eye on this blog for more hints, tips and ideas! We want to keep you buzzing with ideas, so not only will you hear from Judith, we will have some inspirational blogs to check out. This week, we suggest checking out Recycled Fashion (Hi Erica!), Sew it Again and I love to Op Shop. Have a great week, we can't wait to see your entries!

No comments:

Post a Comment